Thursday, May 24, 2012

Persuasive Students


Dear Readers,
  
    We all have wants.  In 3rd grade we are talking about how to get our wants fulfilled.  Some students wish for houses with pools, one student wants a pet pig, another student wants a laptop.  After discussing what we want I asked the students how they get what they want.  They responded, "We ask."  We talked about times they had asked for things & received them as well as times they had asked for things and been disappointed.  Questions like, "did the way you ask affect the decision" or "was it a realistic want" came up and led to some thoughtful insights.  Then I read two of my favorite books...

 These great gems are about a little boy named Alex who writes persuasive letters to his parents.  After reading the students were assigned to write a persuasive letter.  They chose one realistic item they wanted from their brainstorm list.  Then they completed a thinking map to organize their ideas; what I want, why I want it, why will it benefit me/our family, and how will I take care of it.  Then using the thinking map each student drafted a persuasive letter.  After reading some of them I'm glad no one was writing to me...we have some very persuasive students in this class!  These letters are hanging up on our writing bulletin board but expect them home at the end of the month. 
Make sure to read her closing & signature!

Kyi's letter part 1
Kyi's letter part 2






























The class even helped me compose a letter to Josh, persuading him to get me a puppy!  We'll see if it works.

Philip's reason had us all laughing: "It will also help teach me responsibility for when I have a baby."




No comments:

Post a Comment